Shinrin Yoku – Forest Bathing
Learn How to Tap into the Natural Healing Qualities of the Forest
- Are you so busy you have forgotten what it feels like to be at ease?
- When was the last time you felt like yourself- not frazzled or rushed?
- Do you ever wish life would just stop for a day so you can catch your breath? But when you do have a day off you fill it with distractions that don’t meet your deeper needs?
- Have you ever tried seated meditation only to quit because it was so painful? Yet you know you need something to calm your mind and body.
Research shows that time in the forest is deeply restorative for your mind, body, and brain. In Japan, doctors prescribe a type of forest therapy called Shinrin Yoku or forest bathing, which translates to ‘taking in the forest atmosphere’.
Japanese scientists figured out the trees give off an organic chemical compound, called phytoncides, when you go into the forest with all your senses attunded you bathe in these compounds which then provide a multitude of benefits.
The results from a 3 hour forest bathing session are astounding. This may sound intuitive but science can now back up time in the forest is REALLY good for you.
Benefits from 1 session of forest bathing include:
- Quickly reduces stress, blood pressure, heart rate
- Reduces anxiety, anger, depression
- Restores focus and attention span
- Improves sleep
- Relaxes the “thinking brain”
- Calms the nervous system
- Provides deep relaxation and a sense of ease
- Increases critical thinking and decision making
- Strengthens immune system
- Increases Natural Killer cell activity (cancer and tumour fighting cells increase)
- Increases energy and vitality
- Increases creativity and intuition
- Increases feelings of awe, wonder, and gratitude
- Increases feelings of calm, peace, and interconnectedness
- Fosters healthier relationships with self, others and nature
- Fosters healthier aging
That’s pretty good for 3 hours of being outside!
There is one glitch, you won’t get these results hiking, running or mountain biking. It’s a different, way of being in nature. By going out with a guide you will be shown how to tap into this simple yet powerful practice. Once you know how to do it, you can practice it at anytime, anywhere, for free, and reap the benefits yourself. You can download the Forest Bathing brochure here.
Scroll down to participate in a half day forest bathing session, or inquire about our corporate programs, look at coaching in nature packages, or contact Ronna about private programs. Additionally, here is a link to a forest bathing retreat offered at Quantum Leaps Lodge in BC.